Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Past Burdends Lead to Future Stumbles

"It's hard to achieve your own greatness when you're burdened by your failings. It's hard to fulfill your dreams when you carry your mistakes around in your pockets like old lint- in your wallet, in your mind... Many of you are still carrying around your shortcomings from last week, last month. From decades ago. You can't look forward if you're still looking back, especially if you're staring back at what went wrong, how you stumbled. Nothing good comes of that.....There's too much good for you left to conquer, too much greatness yet to achieve. Don't walk right by it because you're looking back"

~ Roy S. Johnson
Men's Fitness May 2010

"Recovery is a process, like learning to ride a bike, ice skate, or ski. You may have to try several times to break an addiction before you finally succeed. Even then, you may have a slip, especially in the beginning. But if you don't give up, you'll eventually see progress and even start to enjoy the recovery process. So practice just a letting yourself "be". If you fall down in the first stage of abstinence, simply get back up, brush yourself off, and try again- but this time make sure you get more help and support"

~ Arnold Washton Ph.D.
Willpower's Not Enough.

I have 2 min to put my thoughts down on this posting because I've got be disciplined and stick to my schedule.

I have a vision of who I am. I am constantly looking back at my past failings or feeble attempts of accomplishing my goals. In the back of my mind, I see myself as the guy that trys hard for a little while and ends of giving up. Well, the more I think about it, it's the "back of my mind" and I can see anything I want to see. I see myself as the type of person that I know I am. Strong willed, determined and in control of my life.

2 comments:

  1. “The good that I wish I do not do, but the bad that I do not wish is what I practice. I find, then, this law in my case: that when I wish to do what is right, what is bad is present with me.”

    The Apostle Paul wrote that in a letter to the congregation in Rome. It even made him feel like a “miserable man.” If he felt like that, chances are most of us who are trying to do good things and change a bad habit will too. Keep plugging along. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you referenced that passage. I'm a big fan of it. Thanks for posting that.

    It is nice to know that everyone is faced with the challenge between the "flesh" and the "spirit". Often times it's so easy to give in.

    When you give in, you do beat yourself up. I've also felt like a "wretched" or "miserable" man.

    Each time we "win" that battle between what we should do and what is tempting, our spirit gets a little bit stronger.

    Thanks for you comment. It was very thoughtful

    ReplyDelete